Sunday, June 8, 2008

Czechoslovak Exile Series: My Mom (Part 1)

As some of you may know, I am Canadian-Czech as I was born in Canada but my entire family comes from the Czech Republic (formerly known as Czechoslovakia). My parents emigrated from the Czech Republic in the early 1980s due to the invasion of the Russians and Warsaw Pact troops (Prague Spring), which began in 1968, and ended up in Canada as landed imigrants. After living there for close to 20 years, my dad permanently moved back to the Czech Republic as he had started up his own business. My mom had the ability to join him once I had finished highschool, working first in Germany for about a year, and then finally moving to Prague.

In the Czechoslovak Exile Series on Utterz.com, my mom was interviewed in English about the experiences she's had since she returned to her home country. Very interesting and an eye-opener to some. Click the play button to start listening.